Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bible Fantasy Draft

This Friday we will kick off the 21st season of my fantasy baseball league. I started this league way back in 1991, and somehow it has managed to survive a complete turnover in league membership, work stoppages, steroid scandals, and the existence of Bud Selig.

For the first 20 seasons, we chose our teams through a "snake draft," meaning that we each took turns choosing players, reversing order from one round to the next. For the past two seasons, I ended up with the very last pick, thanks to my evil son Thomas, who chose the names "randomly" (so he says) out of a cup. I fired him. Twice.

This year we are doing something different. This year we will be conducting an auction. Each owner will have an imaginary sum of $260 to spend, and we will bid against each other until our money is gone and our rosters are filled. This will present a new set of challenges and strategies. Should I spend big money on the top players and settle for scraps at the end, or should I try to balance my team with middle-of-the-road guys throughout? Should I spend equal amounts on hitting and pitching, or is pitching too risky to spend good money on? I'm not really sure how it will go, but it should be fun.

This also got me thinking, What if we had a Bible fantasy league? What if we had to choose teams of Bible characters, but only had $260 to spend? Would we load up on "superstars," like Jesus ($48), Paul ($39) and Peter ($32), or try to get by with some of the lesser-knowns?

Here are a few of my choice picks and projected prices...

Elisha ($18). He's not quite the caliber of Elijah ($32), who is a human rain delay and bringer of fire, but Elisha can bring miracles and prophecies with the best of them. I think he's a steal at $18.

Joshua ($16). Like better known OT leader Moses ($36), Joshua brings excellent leadership skills and good experience in battle. He might be the one to get me to the Promised Land.

Job ($12). Yes, he's an injury risk and can be temperamental, but he's also primed for a major comeback.

Luke ($7). It's always good to have a doctor on the roster.

Andrew and Nathaniel ($4 each). Let's face it -- you're gonna have to pay big money for Peter, James ($27) and John ($31). These two guys are underrated and under-appreciated. Nathaniel is a guy you can trust, a good "clubhouse" guy, and Andrew enjoys setting the table for his teammates. I think it's a good one/two punch.

Timothy ($2). Since we have a "keeper" rule, meaning I can keep him for the next two years at a discount, it's worth taking a shot on the young guy and hope he pans out in 2013.

I would enjoy hearing your suggestions for filling out my roster.

3 comments:

  1. I`m taking Jesus regardless of his "contract" value. With Jesus on my "team", I cannot be defeated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. $1 on Hosea. Nasty circumstance but he is a type for God if Gomer is Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. $11 for Nehemiah - he will be my player manager. He can build a winning wall so he can build my team!

    $14 Jacob - He wrestled with God and his injury is healed. Often players come back stronger post injury. Plus, he fathered 12 boys so I know he has lots of stamina.

    $18 - Joseph- the man is a wonder of staying focused. He rejected Potipher's wife and he resisted killing his treacherous brothers. I need him to lead by his example to keep my team healthy. "Dude, you can avoid the twinkies if I could avoid the hot Egyptian woman who threw herself at me"

    David (24) - Mighty Warrior. Got no problem choosing who to lead my team into battle.

    Solomon (9) - "better to live in the wilderness than with an angry contentious woman" Smart dude!

    Samson (1)- He is my sleeper pick. I hope Joseph can keep him in line because this boy is strong and, unlike Jason Werth, looks good with long hair. Hopefully the hair doesn't get him in trouble.

    ReplyDelete